OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option

DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option Domegaia-aircrete.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-scale  © Steve Areen  
First there was foamcrete, then there was papercrete and hempcrete, and now we've got AirCrete, a foamy mixture of air bubbles and cement that is cheap to make, waterproof, fireproof, and DIY-friendly.
At one point, I fell under the spell of domes as a building form, and as I had plans to someday build my own home on some vacant land, I spent quite a bit of time and energy exploring the idea. Geodesic domes sure did look cool, but dang, there are a lot of angles and joints on a geodesic dome house that would not only have to be cut and assembled, but that would also be a potential weak point for water leaks for the entire life of the home, and almost all of the materials would have to come from off-site, so that design was out for me.
A rammed earth home, however, could be built with mostly on-site materials (plus a metric boatload of labor), but that technique would work best with walls that were vertical, not curved. Adobe blocks could be made on-site and built into a dome, and would be an appropriate choice for living comfortably in the southwest, but I wasn't convinced that adobe was the best choice of materials for forming the roof of a dome, even if plastered and sealed.
I then really fell in love with Nader Khalili's Fired Ceramic Houses, which lead me down the path to learning about his SuperAdobe creations and then on to earthbag construction in general, which seemed the most accessible style of all. In the end, I ended up buying an old adobe home, so I never got any further into building a dome than doing the research, but I still keep my eye out for interesting and low-cost methods of DIY building, and I recently came across this new (to me) construction material that seems worthy of consideration.
DomeGaia's AirCrete homes, which are the brainchild of Hajjar Gibran (who happens to be the great-nephew of the poet Kahlil Gibran), are made with a foamy mixture of cement and air bubbles, which create a lightweight and low-cost building block that is fireproof, waterproof, and serves to insulate the building. According to its creator, AirCrete offers a number of desirable attributes for use as a building material for single-storey residences, especially for the owner-builder, among them the ability to cut construction costs "by a factor of 10" when compared with conventional construction.
DIY dome homes built from AirCrete are an affordable & ecofriendly option 21192699_1495153530544566_4608657736705933264_n.jpg.860x0_q70_crop-smart© Steve Areen
"It is waterproof, fireproof, and insect proof. It offers good thermal and acoustic insulation. It will not rot, warp, or corrode. Unlike concrete which is hard, heavy, cold and difficult to work with, AirCrete is easy to work with. It dries overnight and can be cut, carved, drilled and shaped with wood-working tools. It accepts nails and screws and is easily repaired. It had good compressive strength to make excellent foundations, subfloors, building blocks, poured walls, domes or whatever. It can be molded or formed into practically any shape." - DomeGaia

https://youtu.be/b9Gmor0I3mw

The key to AirCrete is in the foaming agent, which works to suspend tiny air bubbles in the cement mixture, and a small piece of equipment, a continuous foam generator, which disperses a mix of the foaming agent (which can be as simple as an all-natural "high foaming" dish detergent) into the cement mixture to be mixed together. DomeGaia sells a readymade foam generator unit, the Little Dragon, and has plans and parts for building your own, as well as selling a Foam-Injection AirCrete mixer.
DomeGaia also has building plans for sale for AirCrete domes, and offers 10-day building workshops in Mexico and the Philippines, as well as information and answers to FAQs, on its website. I came across a number of other videos about building with aircrete recently, and then found a UK organization called the Aircrete Products Association, but it seems to be referring to a different material (Autoclaved Aerated Concrete) than the DomeGaia version.

https://www.treehugger.com/tiny-houses/diy-dome-homes-made-aircrete-affordable-ecofriendly-option.html?fbclid=IwAR14SS1QH1_p3HmISOOixA_xHKAByRuGyXig_EgCFjX3cvBRxdw2LNLaQVs

Thanks to: https://www.treehugger.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum