OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

You are at:Home»Features»Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear?

Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? 702x336xgrow-stock-702x336.jpg.pagespeed.ic.N2Rwv9vPx5

Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear?
By Keith Stroup on August 4, 2014 Features, NORML, Opinion
As an old farm boy, it has always seemed strange to me that most states, and the federal government, treat someone who grows a few marijuana plants for personal use as a more serious offender than someone who buys cannabis from the black market. In practice, by penalizing personal cultivation, the government encourages a thriving black market  with absolutely no controls over age, potency or purity. At least if one grows their own marijuana, they can be assured it includes no pesticide residue or other harmful additives. This is an arbitrary policy that has absolutely no basis in public safety.
But marijuana prohibition has never been a rational policy, and this bias against home cultivation is just another example of that principle.
At NORML, we have always supported the right of individuals to grow their own marijuana, as a logical option compared to purchasing it from licensed dispensaries. On one hand, growing your own just makes common sense. We can brew up to 100 gallons of home-brew beer in our basements under current law, even if very few Americans actually make their own beer. The same should be true for cultivating our own marijuana.
However, most marijuana smokers will not grow their own as it requires a significant degree of skill and expertise, along with expensive lighting, exhaust and growing equipment. Growing cannabis is not as simple as throwing a few seeds in the ground and occasionally watering the plants. Thus, most smokers prefer the convenience and reliability of purchasing our marijuana from a retail outlet.
But including the right to grow our own marijuana will serve as leverage to assure the marijuana available at retail outlets is high quality, safe and affordable. If the legal market tries to sell us poor quality marijuana, or tries to exploit smokers by charging exaggerated prices, or sells marijuana without having it tested for molds and pesticides and labelled for THC and CBD strength,we always have the option of growing our own. Just the threat of that should suffice to assure the legal market is responsive to the legitimate needs of consumers.
Most state criminal codes now classify the simple possession of a small amount of marijuana as a misdemeanor, but the cultivation of even a few plants is treated as if it were for the purpose of distribution, a felony offense. Other states treat cultivation as either a misdemeanor or a felony, depending on the weight, but they weigh the whole plant, not just the usable parts. And for larger amounts, the penalties are frequently more harsh than those for violent crimes. In Montana, for example, cultivating more than a pound of marijuana carries with it a possible life sentence, and at least one defendant is current facing that absurd possibility.
This bias against personal cultivation is further reflected in the various medical use laws, especially those adopted legislatively. Of the 13 states (including he District of Columbia) that have adopted medical use via the state legislature, only three (Hawaii; RI; and Vermont) permit patient cultivation. In those other ten states, patients have to buy their medical marijuana from a licensed dispensary.
Whereas the 11 states that have legalized medical use via voter initiative (Alaska; Arizona; California; Colorado; Maine; Massachusetts; Michigan; Montana; Nevada; Oregon; and Washington), all permit patients to cultivate marijuana, demonstrating once again that the attitudes of the voters towards marijuana use and legalization are far ahead of those of their elected officials.
Unfortunately the primary concern for most elected officials is to get re-elected, and they duck most controversial issues (or those they perceive as controversial); and when they are finally forced by public pressure to adopt a more progressive marijuana policy, they vote for the most restrictive version. It is the nature of elected politics that most candidates are timid, preferring to follow somewhat behind public opinion, rather than leading the change. It is a safer political strategy, aimed at re-election.
This bias against personal cultivation is largely a reflection of the enormous political influence law enforcement continues to enjoy with state and federal elected officials. The reason generally given by legislators for failing to legalize personal cultivation is the concern of law enforcement that they would have no way to tell which marijuana plants are legal and which are illegal! Obviously that is not the real reason, as the legislature could require the plants be grown inside in a secure environment, with proper labeling and, if a medical grow, a copy of the medical recommendation posted appropriately. Absent that, any marijuana found growing would remain illegal and could be seized. That hardly seems like an unreasonable burden on law enforcement.
But no one has ever lost an election by being too supportive of the tough-on-crime policies pushed by the law-enforcement lobbies, whether harsh mandatory penalties or larger budgets for law enforcement or building more prisons. So if the cops don’t want patients to have the right to grow their medicine, that seems to settle it for most elected officials. After all, why take the risk that the law enforcement community would oppose your re-election, simply to advance a smart public policy?
The reality is that marijuana prohibition is a jobs program for police, prosecutors and prison guards (in California, the prison guards union is the single largest lobby in the state!). Of course they support a continuation of prohibition, because it means job security for them and their colleagues. In addition, it is far less risky to spend their time arresting marijuana smokers (and those who grow for personal use), than it would be to target serious and violent crime.
As we move forward with additional voter initiatives either for full legalization or for medical use, this is another secondary issue, like provisions barring job discrimination against legal smokers, that should be determined by the polling results. If it appears we can win these initiatives with a clause permitting personal cultivation, we should obviously include the provision; but if it appears the initiative might well fail if personal cultivation is included, we should pass the initiative now, and be prepared to come back and add personal cultivation when we have the political support to accomplish that. We should never miss an opportunity to adopt a legalization law in any state, because voters are not yet ready to embrace personal cultivation or other second-tier issues.
Of the two current full-legalization states, Colorado permits personal cultivation (up to 6 plants), and Washington does not. The decision in Washington was based on polling results that showed the initiative might well be in jeopardy if cultivation were included, as well as the opposition of some of their most influential sponsors, including the former US Attorney, John McKay. NORML worked behind the scenes to try to convince the draftees to include personal cultivation, but when we failed, we did the only responsible thing and endorsed the initiative, as drafted.
As these laws have some time to take effect, voters will inevitably become more comfortable with legalization, and less concerned about these secondary issues such as personal cultivation. Whether we like it or not, most social change occurs in an incremental fashion, and we must be prepared to accept incremental change, with a firm commitment to return at a later time to further improve the law.

Thanks to: http://marijuana.com

MartyM

MartyM

Is it just me, or is this really a 'No Brainer'...?   I mean certainly the 'Wacky Weed' falls in line with making people dumber(their agenda) though by this means, they are not really controlable. So whats the real problem? TPB don't want any competition. This screws with a large part of their cashflow, simple as that. imho   Why Can’t Americans Grow Their Own Weed Without Fear? 1824860899  

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

well I am no dumber, at least I don't think I am. I actually get much more creative.

My problem with this whole legalization issue stems from the gmo of the strains. Here in Illinois they are only going to allow 15 strains to be grown and if your product tests against that you lose your business. I have been interviewing with one of the 15 out of 60 applicants that this state will process. The word is that in 3 years (it will take this long to empty the prisons out I guess thereby avoiding wrongful imprisonment law suits) this will be legal in all states for medical and recreational use. The tobacco companies hold the majority of the growing licenses here. No surprise there and that should tell one how much poison will be added. They are trying to fuck it up like they do all herbals that can help so many.

MartyM

MartyM

Exactly my point. If they (the System and those in it) are not Supplying, controling, the Only ones making money on it, it's Bad... according to them anyway. I have nothing against anyone who wishes to use it, though I am concerned how it gets used just as I am with alchohal and pharmcuticles.  Personally as I seem to be somewhat immune to its effects, I have no need for it. That doesn't mean it should be banned.
    I still say that instead of trying to control everything indevidually, just hold ALL individuals fully accountable for their own actions.

Herb Lady

Herb Lady

I think that it is just ridiculous that people cannot grow their own, and even more so that they cannot grow hemp for industrial use. I am waiting for the day when people will have these freedoms and can also use the medicinal oils from marijuana for healing and not have to suffer any more or worry about getting arrested for it.

Also, I really disagree with one aspect of this post, and that is it just isn't that hard to grow a plant that grows naturally in many states! It's a common sense gig. I would say that it would be harder to keep the wild life from it than it would be to grow it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum