OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art

earth porm

93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art Rainbow-grandpa
Photo Credit: AFP PHOTO / Sam Yeh via NDTV.com
At 93 years old, former soldier Huang Yung-fu still gets up at 3 a.m. every day to spend four hours painting the walls of his small village with colorful figures from birds and a variety of other animals to celebrity singers and sportsmen.
Yung-fu greets visitors to his settlement in central Taiwan with shoes that are spattered with flecks of color and paint-stained hands, revealing his daily artistic endeavor that has seen him single-handedly stave off developers’ bulldozers.
Known as “Rainbow Grandpa,” his artwork has kept the village safe as the surrounding area has been flattened.
He walks with a slight limp and rolls up his trouser leg to reveal a bandaged knee that was bruised from spending too much time kneeling on the ground to paint, he’s said. But still, he’s determined to continue adding to the vibrant murals that decorate the walls and pathways of the military dependents’ village as a way to ensure its survival.
“We had a letter five years ago saying the government wanted to knock it down to build something new. They said we could take some money or move to a different house,” he explained. “But I didn’t want to move. This is the only real home I’ve ever known in Taiwan.”
The settlement in the Nantun district of Taichung City was once made up of 1,200 homes for veterans and their families. But as the decades-old accommodation became run-down, developers snapped up the land and residents were offered Tw$2 million, or US $61,000, as compensation for new housing.
The determined artist has lived there for nearly four decades, staying even after his neighbors abandoned their homes and only 11 houses remained. That’s when he decided to paint.
“I was the only person left in the village and I was bored,” he said. “My father taught me how to paint when I was five years old, but I hadn’t done it since I was a child. The first thing I painted was a bird inside my house.”
When local university students discovered Huang’s work they launched a campaign to save the village and four years ago the authorities agreed it should be preserve, according to NDTV. Now it is one of the area’s leading tourist attractions, pulling in more than a million visitors annually, mostly from Asia.
“The government has promised me they will keep this house and this village,” Huang said. “I was so happy and thankful.”
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art Rainbow-village3_620_442_100
Officials say they are seeking to make the “Rainbow Village” a designated cultural area.
Rainbow Grandpa says he likes speaking with all of the visitors, noting, “they tell me the paintings are beautiful. I’ll never get lonely with all these visitors.”
93-Year-Old ‘Rainbow Grandpa’ Saving His Taiwan Village Through Art Rainbow-village2

Thanks to: http://www.earthporm.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum