OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs Oclagline
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs Herbtea
Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs

By Barbara Pleasant, Organic Connections Gardening Editor
During the summer when I’m craving cold deliciousness, herbal iced teas are my go-to thirst quenchers. I love making my own herbal iced teas by jazzing up tea made from packaged tea bags with herbs from the garden.
For a tea to satisfy hot-weather thirst, I like a stout brew with some real flavors behind it. This is hard to achieve working only with garden herbs, but easily done by combining garden-grown mints and other greens with assertive organic herbal teas sold in tea bags. Herb tea blends that provide color and flavor—for example, those that include hibiscus, pomegranate or rooibos—are especially good for combining with fresh herbs from the garden.
Making Your Own Herbal Iced Tea
For containers, I use quart canning jars, which can be reused thousands of times. While the water is heating, I crush, tear and then roll between my hands a handful of herbs I’ve gathered from the garden and rinsed clean. I then put the crushed herbs in the bottom of the jar. I pour only about a half cup of boiling water over the herbs, give the jar a swish, and wait ten seconds or so before pouring in the rest of the water and adding a bag of herb tea. The little waiting period gives the jar time to heat, reducing the risk that it might crack.
Bathing the herbs with hot water twice helps them to release more of their flavor compounds into the tea.
When the jar is cool enough to handle, I pour the tea through a strainer into a clean jar, add a few drops of stevia extract or a spoonful of honey, and put the tea in the fridge. When I remember, I like to make a couple of quarts in the evening so it’s cold and ready the next day.
Great Plants for Garden Teas
Mints lead the parade of garden plants that make good tea better, and several mints are reasonably well behaved in the garden, or you can grow them in containers. Various strains of peppermint (Mentha x piperita), including chocolate mint, are not nearly as invasive as spearmint (M. spicata), which I no longer allow in my garden because of its supernatural ability to spread. As for a great mint to grow in an eye-candy container on the deck or patio, you must try ginger mint (Mentha x gracilis), which has green leaves flecked with gold.
A close cousin to mint, lemon balm (Melissa officinalis) can make good tea better by introducing complex flavor and healthful antioxidants. Lemon balm may have antiviral properties, and the plants are incredibly easy to grow. All edible herbs deserve consideration. If you like spicy brews, try spiking your teas with a few leaves of basil or sage.
As long as raspberries and roses have been grown organically, you can use their leaves for greening up teas. Edible weeds that you might not really want in your salad, like dandelion and clovers, can become interesting components of garden-grown green teas too.
Experiment with ingredients, and drink up! The only bottle you will need for these thirst-quenchers is a refillable one.
Sources for Mint Plants
Many local greenhouse growers sell multiple mints, or you can order them from a nursery in your region that ships plants, including these:
Fragrant Fields, Dongola, IL
Goodwin Creek Gardens, Williams, OR
Horizon Herbs, Williams, OR
Mountain Valley Growers, Squaw Valley, CA
Pantry Garden Herbs, Cleveland, MO
Richters Herbs, Goodwood, ON
Wildcrafted, Burt, MI

Create a Better Iced Tea with Garden Greens, Flowers and Herbs BpleasantBarbara Pleasant is not just an expert, she’s passionate about everything garden. She’s the author of four books, including Starter Vegetable Gardens: 24 No-Fail Plans for Small Organic Gardens and is a contributing editor to Mother Earth News and the Herb Companion magazines. Her work has garnered her multiple awards.

Code:
Thanks to: http://organicconnectmag.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum