OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects  EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

Tuesday, August 07, 2012
by Kristin Andrews

The Unlikely Yogi: Meditation's Reaching Effects Print E-mail
At one point in my life I was stuck in a dark depression for close to a year. Though I was the only person who could free myself from it, I was too numb and empty to even try. Anyone who has ever suffered from depression, knows exactly what I’m talking about and may have found themselves in the same place at times. Adhering to my own narrow misconception about depression, I thought I was the only one suffering. However, my entire family and close friends had to suffer from my depression as well. I know that when I’m in a happy and healthy place I’m generous with my love, fun to be around, forgiving, and my actions and behaviors are positive. On my ‘dark days’ I’m completely useless to the people that are close to me, and it becomes very obvious to them that I am not myself. On the yogic path I am beginning to explore, my meditation practice is a beautiful but constant struggle. However, I can honestly say that in the little time I’ve been practicing, I feel more grounded and content than I have in a very long time. And this has broader, sweeping effects on my relationships and everyone close to me.

As a full-time student and part-time server, like so many others, I lead a busy and sometimes hectic life. I often become consumed and overwhelmed with school and the stresses of working in the service industry. In fact, working with what is sometimes a rude and demanding public has proven to be a constant mental challenge for me. I have found through meditation, however, that taking the time to clear my mind and quiet my thoughts has done wonders for my overall mental and emotional health. The most surprising change is my level of compassion, which I must admit, does not come naturally to me. But finding the space to cultivate compassion rather than allowing anger and impatience to pervade is slowly becoming a part of my new existence as an “unlikely” yogi.

In a recent article, blogger Timothy Eden discusses the question of whether meditation is self-indulgent. He refers to meditation as “spiritual housekeeping.” This brought to mind an important question for me: Would I consider taking a daily shower, exercising or eating healthy self-indulgent? Meditation is merely the cleansing of one’s thoughts and mind. Only in North America would we dissect something so simple and common that brings us pleasure and is incredibly beneficial to our overall health. Maybe the benefits of meditation are self-serving, and some would say that sitting quietly does nothing to help humanity, but as witness to my own transformation through meditation, I can attest to the potential it has to affect, not only me, but everyone in my life. This makes me wonder what the world would be like if every single person were able to practice meditation. It seems only natural that this would create a shift in perspective that could reach toward the greater good.

In what ways has mediation changed your behavior or your life for the better?

Thanks to:http://www.yogabasics.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum