OUT OF MIND
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Is it possible to apply positive + in favor Newton III Motion Law as a dynamic system in a motor engine
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 11:33 pm by globalturbo

» Meta 1 Coin Scam Update - Robert Dunlop Arrested
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptySat Mar 23, 2024 12:14 am by RamblerNash

» As We Navigate Debs Passing
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Jan 08, 2024 6:18 pm by Ponee

» 10/7 — Much More Dangerous & Diabolical Than Anyone Knows
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyThu Nov 02, 2023 8:30 pm by KennyL

» Sundays and Deb.....
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptySun Oct 01, 2023 9:11 pm by NanneeRose

» African Official Exposes Bill Gates’ Depopulation Agenda: ‘My Country Is Not Your Laboratory’
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyThu Sep 21, 2023 4:39 am by NanneeRose

» DEBS HEALTH
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptySun Sep 03, 2023 10:23 am by ANENRO

» Attorney Reveals the “Exculpatory” Evidence Jack Smith Possesses that Exonerates President Trump
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:48 am by ANENRO

» Update From Site Owner to Members & Guests
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyTue Aug 29, 2023 10:47 am by ANENRO

» New global internet censorship began today
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 21, 2023 9:25 am by NanneeRose

» Alienated from reality
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why does Russia now believe that Covid-19 was a US-created bioweapon?
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 4:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

»  Man reports history of interaction with seemingly intelligent orbs
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:34 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Western reactions to the controversial Benin Bronzes
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» India unveils first images from Moon mission
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:27 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Scientists achieve nuclear fusion net energy gain for second time
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:25 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Putin Signals 5G Ban
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:07 pm by PurpleSkyz

» “Texas Student Dies in Car Accident — Discovers Life after Death”
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:05 pm by PurpleSkyz

» The hidden history taught by secret societies
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:03 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Vaccines and SIDS (Crib Death)
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 3:00 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Sun blasts out highest-energy radiation ever recorded, raising questions for solar physics
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptyMon Aug 07, 2023 2:29 pm by PurpleSkyz

» Why you should be eating more porcini mushrooms
 Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi EmptySun Aug 06, 2023 10:38 am by PurpleSkyz

You are not connected. Please login or register

Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

PurpleSkyz

PurpleSkyz
Admin

Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi RACK-Random-Acts-of-Christmas-Kindness

Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi

Posted on December 14, 2022 by jilldennison

CNN has announced their 2022 Hero of the Year, and I think she is well-deserving of both the CNN award and being given space on Filosofa’s ‘good people’ series.

Good People Doing Good Things — Nelly Cheboi Gp-cheboi-1

Nelly Cheboi quit a lucrative software engineering job in Chicago to create computer labs for Kenyan schoolchildren in 2019 and in just three short years has done so much for children in Kenya that she was chosen by online voters as this years Hero!  Per CNN …
Nelly Cheboi grew up in poverty in Mogotio, a rural township in Kenya. “I know the pain of poverty,” said Cheboi, 29. “I never forgot what it was like with my stomach churning because of hunger at night.”
A hard-working student, Cheboi received a full scholarship to Augustana College in Illinois in 2012. She began her studies there with almost no experience with computers, handwriting papers and struggling to transcribe them onto a laptop.
Everything changed in her junior year, though, when Cheboi took a programming course required for her mathematics major.
“When I discovered computer science, I just fell in love with it. I knew that this is something that I wanted to do as my career, and also bring it to my community,” she told CNN.
Many basic computer skills were still a steep learning curve, however. Cheboi remembers having to practice touch-typing for six months before she could pass a coding interview. Touch-typing is a skill that is now a core part of the TechLit curriculum.
“I feel so accomplished seeing kids that are 7 years old touch-typing, knowing that I just learned how to touch-type less than five years ago,” she said.
Once she had begun working in the software industry, Cheboi soon realized the extent of which computers were being thrown away as companies upgraded their technology infrastructure.
“We have kids here (in Kenya) — myself included, back in the day — who don’t even know what a computer is,” she said.
So, in 2018, she began transporting donated computers back to Kenya — in her personal luggage, handling customs fees and taxes herself.
“At one point, I was bringing 44 computers, and I paid more for the luggage than I did for the air ticket,” she said.
A year later, she co-founded TechLit Africa with a fellow software engineer after both quit their jobs. The nonprofit accepts computer donations from companies, universities and individuals.
The hardware is wiped and refurbished before it’s shipped to Kenya. There, it’s distributed to partner schools in rural communities, where students ages 4 to 12 receive daily classes and frequent opportunities to learn from professionals, gaining skills that will help improve their education and better prepare them for future jobs.
“We have people who own a specific skill coming in and are just inspiring the kids (with) music production, video production, coding, personal branding,” Cheboi said. “They can go from doing a remote class with NASA on education to music production.”
The organization currently serves 10 schools; within the next year, Cheboi hopes to be partnered with 100 more.
“My hope is that when the first TechLit kids graduate high school, they’re able to get a job online because they will know how to code, they will know how to do graphic design, they will know how to do marketing,” Cheboi said. “The world is your oyster when you are educated. By bringing the resources, by bringing these skills, we are opening up the world to them.”

https://youtu.be/JYMPeBcp2Hc

As a recipient of the CNN Award, Cheboi will receive $100,000 to expand her work. She and the other top 10 CNN Heroes honored at Sunday’s gala all receive a $10,000 cash award and, for the first time, additional grants, organizational training and support from The Elevate Prize Foundation through a new collaboration with CNN Heroes. Nelly will also be named an Elevate Prize winner, which comes with a $300,000 grant and additional support worth $200,000 for her nonprofit.  Just imagine how many children in Kenya will grow up with a chance in life they might otherwise never have had!

THANKS TO: https://jilldennison.com/2022/12/14/good-people-doing-good-things-nelly-cheboi/

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum